Search Dogbert's Zoo

Sunday, January 31, 2010

The lonely closet

All of us at one point and time in our lives feel lonely, isolated, destitute, and depressed. It is worse so when you feel that no one really knows you for who you really are. This is what most of us find ourselves battling with every day. There is a piece of you; a large part of what makes you – you, and you can’t share it with anyone. Our only outlet is a backlit screen pushing threads and topics across the screen communicating with those few others who not only understand the plight but, suffer from it too. If it has not happened to you yet, it will. The computer will no longer provide you comfort and none of the topics speak to you anymore. You are feeling the urge to seek acceptance from someone else.

But how do you do it? What on earth could be a good ice breaker to introduce someone into the world of zoosexuality? As we have seen many times before there are very few, if any, people that we can outright trust. Families have turned their very own children over to police or self righteous psychologists. It’s very hard to find a friend who will keep such a secret safe. And unless you met your significant other through a zoo friendly environment chances are they will take to the idea as well as getting a third wheel for the weekend.

What is one to do? The first thing you MUST do is be careful! With so many people out there wanting to show their moral superiority by literally enslaving us to their beliefs, you can’t be too cautious. But what exactly is going on in someone’s head when you break the news to them? We all know the unfortunate thought process of close minded people. I will speak of people who are truly open minded and willing to entertain ideas that are different than their own. Believe it or not there are people like this out there. These people usually have a high CQ, cultural quotient, and EQ emotional quotient. [Both CQ and EQ readings are included in my current study – if you are interested in receiving a free test please email me and ask to take part in the study Dogbertzoo@gmail.com]

Even though Chin & Gaynier are professors on global management and leadership in their 2006 work they introduced the Global Leadership Competency (GLC) model. This seven level model was originally designed to gauge and map progress on ones journey through different cultures. In the opening statements of their work they state that many times people “confuse recognition with judgment and it is judgment, particularly negative stereotypes, which feed discrimination”. I feel applying the GLC to any behavior labeled ‘socially deviant’ would provide perfect feedback from either a person or group of people.

There are seven levels of competencies, in order from the first level to the final one: ignorance, awareness, understanding, appreciation, acceptance, internalization and adaptation. These different levels perfectly demonstrate what someone will go through when exposed to a lifestyle different than their own. We will walk through all seven steps and try to apply them to the mind of a heterosexual as if a zoosexual had come out to them.

Believe it or not, most people are truly ignorant to the existence of a zoosexual orientation let alone the fact that people actually participate in it. It is a very short step and could be considered a stagnate or staging step that a person can live in forever. Once a previously unknown behavior becomes known the subject immediately steps onto the next step, awareness. Awareness is a pivotal step where people can easily become stuck. This is the knee-jerk step where an immediate feeling is generated. Usually the person will feel inclined or disinclined toward the newly recognized behavior. One of three different feelings can be immediate; positive feelings, neutral feelings, or negative feelings. Through these feelings the person will intern label the act as one or more of the following; strange, interesting, possibly enjoyable, frightening, annoying, wrong, right, or indifferent. The behavior can be so far removed from the course of what the subject perceives as a normal behavior they can actually determine that the act is staunchly wrong. It is at this point that all progress stops.

The next step is the understanding step. This is not to be confused with accepting the behavior or feeling positively towards it. This phase is where the subject seeks answers to the new behavior. Remember in the last step where some people tend to get stuck? If a person is stuck in the previous step they will not achieve this step in full. They will move on to a pseudo level of understanding. This is where the subject will form opinions and ideas from their own past experiences and what they perceive to be right and wrong. At this point they are irrevocably lost in their progress up the GLC model. People who remain stuck here suffer from a very low CQ, in which they are unable to accept or even tolerate ideas different from their own. A subject in this state most likely suffers from a low self esteem or self worth and expresses this through the classical bully complex.

For the subjects that are truly progressing they can be expected to employ several different methods of research. First and foremost they will compare the act to acts that they are already familiar with. This provides prospective and creates an image on how the new behavior relates to a behavior that may engage in on a normal basis. They will then continue their research by asking questions, observation, or any other means available. There is a lot of bad information available on a many different subjects zoosexuality not being the least of them all. There have been a many biased and askew studies preformed and as many false statements made. It takes a truly open mind and sharp eye to weed through the chaff in search of true un-biased knowledge.

Appreciation and acceptance are the next two steps and according to Chin & Gaynier go hand in hand. It is in these two steps that the subject begins to let go of the idea that their way is the only way. They understand that others may not live like them but are still good people with their own beliefs and desires. The steps are very closely related but still separate. During the appreciation step the subject not only understands the new act but, appreciates the act for the unique purpose of the act. Acceptance shows the subject that weather or not the act is something that they will participate in it is a normal act that brings someone else pleasure.
Internalization stage is achieved when the person clearly understands and has the ability to fully comprehend and interact with an individual who is involved with the act. This does not mean that the subject participates in the act in any way, although they may. The subject understands the dynamics of the act and can converse on the subject of the act without judgment or discrimination.

This is the process that a person will likely work through when confronted with the idea of zoosexuality. There are many holes in this process where a person can get stuck or develop very negative feelings. Especially when working through the awareness and understanding phase. It is possible to take a truly open minded person and alienate them during the understanding phase. It all depends on what school of thought they subscribe to. With the proliferation of the internet the proliferation of misinformation has only increased. There are many great resources for meeting people and discussing zoosexuality. Beast Forum is a great community that only tolerates respect and open-mindedness. You need not be a zoosexual to become a part of the community but, you are expected to be respectful towards everybody. Facebook is another place to find good information on zoosexuality. There are several pages dedicated to providing equal rights to zoosexuals. Sadly most rescue and abuse societies are against zoosexuality citing many myths and incorrect information.

If you are thinking of coming out of the closet to someone regarding your sexuality you should have a strong feel for their CQ and their ability to work through the GLC model. The consequences of their mental failures could end up costing you a friend at best. At worst you could expect to be run out of town, jail time, and even forced to register as a sex offender. Considering it is against the law in most places I challenge you to put your lawmakers to the CQ test and determine how low they fall on the GLC model.

The truth is there is no cookie cutter way to introduce someone to a new culture or act. It takes a special person to internalize something that they themselves may never participate in. There are a few things that you can do to portray a positive zoosexual image. Be clean, honest, approachable, respectful, and smart. It’s key to be someone that is hard to hate. If you are an all around good person who is appealing and respectful of others feelings and beliefs they will have little recourse but to say ‘your alright, not my bag but alright’. And be smart. Understand both sides of the debate and know the opposing view just as well as your own. Be able to dispel myths using creditable non zoo related sources.

If all works out well you will still have your friend and best of all someone who understands you and accepts you as you. It’s not something to rush into, but to take your time in considering and delivering. I have lost two very serious relationships because of this. The first time I came out to my then girl friend I was very poorly educated on the subject of zoosexuality and the concept of CQ, let alone EQ. Basically, it went south quickly, and the relationship ended. The second time I was better educated and took the time to consider the full situation. I ultimately ended the relationship on good terms and left my sexuality out of the picture. I came to the conclusion that it would end the relationship any ways and irrevocably ruin any possibility of a friendship developing after the relationship. She still does not know and we are still good friends.

Take your time, consider your options, and be very picky when you decide who you are going to tell that you are a zoosexual. There is a lot of support available, but there isn’t a lot that can be done when the wrong person finds out and comes after you and your lover.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Dogbert,
    This Jean from Project Experience. Been reading your blog,and working on "understanding". I consider myself to be more open-minded than most, in spite of having Christianity crammed down my throat in childhood.
    I appreciate your comments about portraying a positive zoosexual image, being an all-around great person who is hard to hate, etc. When my son came out to me at age 19, he had stopped participating in life, was flunking out of college, playing fantasy-based games on computer all the time, living with me and not working, and exhibited all of the classic signs of depression.
    I told my son that if he was going to be a zoophile, then go out there and be the best damned zoophile there ever was, make me proud of you and what a great person you are. In other words, I'm open to the posibility. Convince me that it is just another sexual orientation.
    My son was crossing many of the boundaries that I had laid out for him in our mother/son relationship. His German shepherd (beautiful, sweet girl!) was too big for my tiny apartment, so I had asked him to move out. He wasn't even looking. I had told him that if she went into heat, that was an absolute deal-breaker. Either he would have to spay her, or they could both go be successful somewhere else.
    Over the holidays, she went into her first heat. My son responded by being in denial about it, which really pissed me off. Because my son appeared to be functioning at a pretty low level, by anyone's standards, I felt that I was forced into action. What would you have done?
    As a former victim of child abuse, molestation, and rape, I was inclined to err on the side of the possible "victim" (the dog). Please let me be clear here that I had had numerous rational discussions with my son to please take himself, his beautiful dog, and his zoophile life elsewhere. I could live with him doing that somewhere else. But in my home --- no.
    Let me also be clear that he said he was only curious and hadn't done anything yet (whatever that means). I don't think he had penetrated her yet, but I suspect there may have been foreplay.
    I do really struggle with the whole "consent" issue. The human is in a position of control. The human puts out food and water, walks the dog, and especially shapes the dog's behavior with positive and/or negative feedback. A dog can express their likes, wishes, etc. But is a dog any more consenting than a child would be? It's not that the human wants to exert control over the dog by having sex. It's that the human has control over the dog in their relationship, so to have sex is an abuse of that power.
    My son had gotten his dog from a shelter, and he had signed a contract to spay her. After agonizing for weeks --- she was clearly in heat and my son kept refusing to take action of any kind --- I asked the local shelter for help, and they took my son's dog and put her in a rescue. I am still heartbroken about the whole situation, and hated the part that I was forced to play in it.
    -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean,
    I am glad you got back with me, especially so fast! It sounds like there is allot going on with your son. Allot of what you described sounds very personal. If you prefer my email is DogbertZoo@gmail.com, feel free to contact me there.
    I don't view your actions as being out of line at all. You seem to be very open minded. I actually thought you were very lenient letting him keep a big dog around the house knowing he was fooling around with her. Just to put it into perspective if he had a girl friend would you allow her to live under your roof? I highly doubt it.
    Keeping a un-altered female dog around the house is ALLOT of work. It seams that your son didn't want to or wasn't interested in helping out.
    I wrote an article on consent entitled 'Darwin, Rape, and Consent'. I take a strong look at consent when it comes to zoosexuality and animals. There is allot of debate and feelings regarding this issue and most point to the ideology that we, humans, are superior to animals.
    There is a forum that I highly recommend both you and your son joining. It is called Beast Forum, www.BeastForum.com. The community is dedicated to zoosexuality, bringing people together and supporting others like us who are going through tough times or just trying to understand. I am also a member there, Dogbert is my username.
    The only down side is it is a public forum, as is my blog, anyone can read what has been posted there.
    I am eager to continue to talk with you, and if possible your son, regarding his orientation. So I am looking forward to hearing back soon. -Dogbert

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wish I had been more picky with whom I told. I was lonely, scared and didn't completely think though what I was doing.
    I did and continue to pay for my misplaced trust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dogbert,
    I'm going to email u for that CQ and EQ test just for the curiousity of it. I think even I'm more open-minded than most people i know, hehe and most people i know are pretty open-minded. I'm rather lucky I guess when I told my love about my animal fetish, he didnt mind at all and seemed fond of the idea aswell. I want to try one day but I've got lots of time to do so and I'm in no rush. The main reason I'm commenting though is because I really enjoyed reading all your blogs. They all seem quite true to me and I agree with what you have said. I just wanted to let you know that you've done a good job on it all. Im sure most people wil understand what you've said, if not though they may not be as open-minded. Thank you for the good read aswell. Im registered on beastforum as freakity. Enjoy life ok?
    Freakity

    ReplyDelete